Listen to Full Belly Laughs Episode 2
Use the audio player below to enjoy Full Belly Laughs Podcast Episode 2: Sweet Potato & Kale over Tri-Colored Quinoa.
Today Brian made a delicious sweet potato and kale dish over a bed of quinoa. This week he's joined by comedians Mekki Leeper, Sarah Bell, and Bryan Yanez. The gang gets meta, talking about the format of the show and the audience perspective. They also share their grocery shopping habits while chowing down.
Meet the Guests
Here's the rundown on the guests featured on this episode.
His paranoia about his haters doesn't stop him from being one of the hottest young comics in Philadelphia. He's the host of the Good Good Comedy show Trending Topics. He also helps run a weekly show at Fergie's Pub entitled Honorable Mention. If you're in need of a great curator of Vines, then follow him @MekkiLeeper.
The never not funny Sarah Bell can always brighten your day with a doodle. Make sure to follow her amazing drawings and hilarious commentary on all social media platforms: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc., you know the drill. Once you fall in love with her over social media and this podcast appearance, check out her upcoming performance on Comedy Underdogs.
Mondays can be a drag, but you can lift your spirits with Bryan's weekly show: Laughs on Philly. It's free. Plus it starts and ends at a reasonable hour, so you don't have to feel bad about going out on a Monday.
Eat the Food
Did that dish sound dee-lish? Below is an approximate recipe for how Brian made his Sweet Potato & Kale jawn.
Sweet Potato and Kale over Tri-Colored Quinoa
Prep Time: 15-60 minutes based for your comfort level in the kitchenTools: Pots and Pans and things to stir foodCook Time: 30 minutes tops, probably
- A few good sized Sweet Potatoes (or Yams), peeled and sliced into cubes
- A nice bushel of Green Kale washed and stripped from the stems
- 1 cup of Tri-colored Quinoa (substitute with white quinoa if boring)
- Many cloves of garlic minced
- A good hunk of ginger minced
- A couple handfuls of mushrooms sliced
- Coconut Oil
- Salt, Pepper, Cumin
- Optional: 1 cup of vegetable or chicken broth
- Optional: Soy Sauce
- Add cup of quinoa to a pot along with 2 cups of water. Instead use 1 cup of water and 1 cup broth if you exercised the optional ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil, then drop to a simmer once it begins to rage. Keep covered until all moisture is soaked up by the quinoa.
- While the quinoa is doing its thing, in a large pan cook the sweet potatoes over medium high heat. Season with salt, pepper, and cumin. Let them cook for 3-5 minutes or until they become soft. Never mushy. Just tender enough that you could give them a slight poke with a fork.
- Add the garlic, ginger, kale, and mushrooms. Kale will most likely be added in stages. Once the leaves reduce in size add more. Use a dab of Soy Sauce to speed up the cooking process of the kale. Avoid having too much liquid in the pan. Soak up excess liquid by adding more kale. Cook until all the mushrooms and kale have reduced, and the sweet potatoes are very tender.
Personally we love eating out of bowls. It makes for the perfect vessel when plotted on the couch.Come back next week for another hilarious episode and bangin' recipe.
Share Episode #2
Let your people know about this awesome episode. Share Episode #2: Sweet Potato & Kale over Tri-Colored Quinoa on any one of these social media platforms.